Thursday, November 11, 2010

SHIbuckeye

Welcome!   Thanks for dropping by SHIbuckeye!  Recently, my husband Jerry and I moved from Ohio to South Carolina's low country.  Seven generations of my family including me, our daughters and grandchildren have lived in that little corner of the world.  We left our comfort zone of friends, most of them from childhood, and our family.  We sold our home of 35 years, reduced our ownership of  "stuff" considerably and opted for new experiences.  Simply put, we endured one too many cold winters!   This  blog will be a way of keeping in touch with the "Buckeyes" in our lives and a love letter to both our old and new homes.

I love Ohio!  I love the beauty of spring, lazy days of summer, the smells, colors and crisp days of fall.  A white Christmas with all the trimmings, friends dropping by with homemade goodies and gifts, a crackling fire, decorating our small church, Christmas Eve services, our family and church family are only a few of the things we'll miss.  There's nothing like the company of longtime friends and family sitting around a campfire roasting hot dogs and sipping the world's best cider made at the apple orchard down the road. 

Since moving, I better understand how someone can say they love two people at the same time!  I am falling in love with our new home more every day while still loving and missing Ohio.  South Carolina low country is a breathtakingly beautiful, unique place.  We live on St. Helena Island, one of South Carolina's sea islands.  St. Helena is seven miles from Beaufort and across the bay from Hilton Head.  Savannah, Ga. and Charleston, SC are only an hours drive.  It is a rural area with tomato and watermelon farms, shrimping, a half dozen gift and art shops and a few restaurants.  We are 10 minutes from Hunting Island and the Atlantic Ocean.  We live in the middle of a history book and can't turn the pages fast enough.  My camera stays red hot!  

Live oaks covered with Spanish moss, sweet tea, hush puppies and thrift stores filled to the brim with wonderful treasures are things I instantly loved.  I am learning about tides, pluff mud, sea turtles and Frogmore stew.  Island traditions, haint blue, blue bottle trees and the Lands End light are things I am looking at from a distance........and will explore with you in another post.  

 Until then,  thanks again for dropping by and enjoy today!

4 comments:

  1. Tell me more....I love your blog! Keep stories coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Aunt Linda! this blog is a great idea. i'm subscribed and can't wait to read more. Love to you and Uncle Jerry

    - Jerry/Andrea/Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny this is wonderful! I can't wait to get back down there! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the video of pop and Gracie by the ocean :) Also loved the new post. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete