Friday, December 17, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Hi!  Welcome.  I'm glad you're here.

The days are flying! We're finishing the guest room we call the "kid's" room and baking cookies. The lights are strung, tree is up, candles in the windows.  Little beach house is almost ready for the biggest birthday party of the year. 



I was worried about my favorite holiday being different in the low country.  I shouldn't have.  Christmas is like home. It lives in your heart.

Jerry and I were privileged to attend A "Gullah Christmas" at USC-B (University of South Carolina Beaufort) Saturday evening starring  'The Gullah Kinfolk'.  What a joy!  The Gullah's are decendants of slaves brought to the sea islands of South Carolina from West Africa.  Gullah Kinfolk depict the history of their culture in drama and song.  They sang some of the best gospel I've ever heard!  "Amazing Grace" was beautiful, spiritual and emotional. There were many wet cheeks in the audience, mine included.   And there was food.  Lots of food!  Tables were filled to the brim with possibly every rice dish ever concocted on the sea islands. There was Low Country crab and shrimp gumbo, Frogmore stew, fried chicken, Bar-B-Que,  sweet potato everything, corn bread and tables of cakes, pies, cheese cakes, etc.  I had my first taste of collard greens and loved it.  The audience filled their plates, some several times and ate in the auditorium before the show started.  It was a wonderful evening and I can't wait to go again next Christmas.  

Funny coincidence today, A friend fell in the snow.  She wasn't hurt,  thank goodness!  I, however, tripped on my husbands foot, in my bare feet, on dry floor and broke my little toe. Go figure!    

Speaking of friends, we were in Wal-Mart yesterday and saw two couples we know.  Both permanent Beaufort County residents who retired and moved from Ohio.  Funny...four out of the six had on an OSU article of clothing.  Just proves once a Buckeye, always... etc....also proves how great it is to see a friend! 

Thanks for stopping in.  See you soon and until then...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment